Sunday, December 27, 2009

Christmas Eve

One of the hardest parts of living abroad during holidays is being away from your family.

I have not been one who really enjoyed all the chaos that comes with celebrating Christmas. Living in Houston, the kids and I spent it quietly. Their father and I would split the holidays. Normally, I'd have them for Thanksgiving and he would for Christmas, but as they grew older, they'd spend it with me. Sometimes I'd have to force them to open their presents, three days later.

Don't get me wrong. It wasn't ALL HUMBUGISH. Of course we'd have my parents and brother over for Christmas eve dinner, and then the next day, for lunch. It was just quiet.

So with the Christmas holidays approaching, I was dreading the unknown. I know this is one of the biggest holidays for the Danes. They start preparing in October. Next comes the outrages Christmas lists. How can one afford the desired gifts, I will never know.

Stress. Stress. Stress. That is what I do well.

............................................................................................................................

Anyway, we spent our Christmas Eve with some really good friends. They are actually very sweet.

It was a very traditional dinner. Duck, pork, potatoes, and gravy. Dessert was rice pudding with almonds. Our hostess is a very good cook. Along with another American couple, after dinner, we played a very long game of UNO.

I have not had a Christmas eve like this in a very long time. It was actually enjoyable. Great conversation. Great friends.

Even if I couldn't spend this holiday with my Houston family, spending it with the King, my Dee, and my small, but close group of friends was nice.

Thanks Anita, Jack, pigerne, Jim and Peter for great evening.



Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment