Thursday, January 17, 2008

Reptilicus

The joys of watching horror movies. It was a normal thing to do when I spent the weekends at my grandparents. Saturday nights, my grandparents would leave us alone while they spend hours at their local beer joint. I remember my aunt and I would spend our time roller skating throughout the house and eating cooked bologna from her easy bake oven.

Anyway, my uncles always seemed to come across good movies. So every Sunday, when I'd spend time with them, was movie time... all day. Oh how I loved Sunday's. I remember we'd normally watch Kung Fu movie's... with a very young Jackie Chan... or sometimes... we'd watch the old Dracula movies with Christopher Lee. Man... did I have sleepless nights, clinging onto my blankets which securely protected my neck... holding my cross tightly... one eye open... sweating like a dog in a Chinese restaurant. (I don't want to be a child of the night!)

So... today... I can say that Kingkeld and I have a common interest in old horror movies... especially the ones that were made during the 1960's and 1970's. Then it so happened that I mentioned Reptilicus, explaining to him how I remember feeling scared after watching it. That for days... I would plan escape routes out of downtown Houston if we were ever to be attacked by a regenerating dragon monster that spit green slime out of it's mouth. Then I made the mistake of telling him that I thought the janitor was HOT looking. What can I say, I was only 9.



Kingkeld couldn't stop laughing about my fear of Reptilicus... and my fondness with the janitor. This crush I had on him carried on in my mind... until I saw a deleted clip of him dancing around and singing a song about Reptilicus. Yeah... not cute anymore.

So... I found out later on that Reptilicus, which is one of my favorite B movies, was originally Danish made, with Danish actors. I guess I had my first taste of Denmark when I was 9.










Run Danes, run...




Hmm... here's the video that Kingkeld sent me of Dirch Passer that was definitely cut out the American version.



Reptilicus... blah, blah, blah... Reptilicus...

2 comments:

  1. For the record, this movie is mostly famous of repeatedly achieving the honor of being on "worst movies ever" top 10 lists.

    ReplyDelete